Thursday, June 15, 2006

HIPS

I received an email from the Law Society's HIP thing yesterday advising that the regulations had just been published. Logging on to the website I only had a short time to review the details but it appears the "packs" must contain certain documentation and may contain other documents. The must have documents appear to be a copy of the land registry entries (or deeds if unregistered), a local search and the Home Condition Report and thats about it. What about a Contract, Property Information Form, Fixtures and Fittings form etc.

I cannot see any benefit to a prospective Buyer in having any of these documents available at the point of viewing other than perhaps the Home Condition Report. I believe that Estate Agents will only put in a HIP what they have to in order to get the property on the market and they would be able to source the search and copy entries without the need for solicitor involvement (transaction online etc). I can't see this as being the "death" of the High Street practice or am I missing something?

1 comment:

Nick Holmes said...

You commented on my "squat" blog at
http://conveyancinglawyer.blogspot.com/

I've publicised your blog in a post on my active blog Binary Law
http://www.binarylaw.co.uk/index.php/2006/08/16/down-but-not-out/